Friday, August 14, 2009

So we took the dogs to the mountains ...

Monday we took the dogs to the mountains. We have a secluded spot we like to go where we hardly ever see anyone else and I really wanted to see how the dogs (Katie and Joey) would do off leash.

So we packed up and I brought a long rope and a bag of their favorite treats just in case ... we first stopped at an open park like area with no underbrush just in case the little one went crazy (ten years old - we have only had her with us 6 weeks). So we started walking and the dogs went ahead 50 ft. - I turned and went up the hill on a dirt road and clicked for them to follow ... and they did :-) so we went up the hill and back and they were good.

Now off to our little spot ... did I mention we brought our hammock?


Well, Joan wanted to read and was feeling a bit like I was sitting there watching her - so she suggested I take them for a walk ... I started off into the woods, they would get to spots that were hard for them to walk through - they would slow down and figure it out - this photo is when I looked back and saw them saying 'you really want us to walk on this' - (I turned around and backtracked the way we came - and going back they went a lot faster because now they knew the way ... dogs are pretty darn smart).


So we went out to the dirt road and up a long hike to the top of the hill ...


And yeah, it was warm :-)

I was thrilled, the whole hike, only a couple of pats on the leg for them to follow when they were distracted by something ... really felt like pack leader :-)

Katie can look so dam regal ...

We let the dogs wander where they wanted (keeping a sharp eye) - I was there to learn them, Katie prowled around a bit and stopped in the light like a deer ... wow ...


It was getting dark, we are reading and the dogs are resting. A real wonderful day and I am saying we should go - Joan is saying just let me read a bit more - neither of us wanted it to end - we finally pulled ourselves out of the revere and headed down the hill ...


This will be one of those favorite days - thanks for letting me share it with you!
-Rr

No comments:

Post a Comment